The Springfield Fire Company had a busy day on Saturday January 30, 2016. The day started off with a carbon monoxide alarm in the 600 block of Andrew Road at 1233am. The company responded to the unit block of South Brookside Road for a gas leak at 839am. At 9am members of the company participated in a work session cleaning the fire house and checking the readiness of the apparatus. The Rescue responded to assist Collingdale on a bedroom fire at 1120am. The company was called to assist EMS at the LA Fitness for a cardiac arrest at 1150am. After returning from the two calls at noon, Tower 44 responded to cover Radnor Fire Company who were operating at a structure fire. The company was dispatched at 1230pm to assist Morton in the 1200 block of East Woodland Avenue for a body recovery. Squad 44 responded and assisted Morton. At 1248pm the company responded to the 300 block of West Woodland Avenue for a report of a gas leak. The leak was found and secured by Engine 44-4. The final call of the day came in at 327pm for an accident at State Road and Sproul Road which was found to be minor and EMS handled. The officers would like to thank the dedicated members who responded and gave up part of their day serving the community.
n January 15, 2016 around 4:40am Springfield Fire Company was dispatched to assist Broomall Fire Company (53) along with Rose Tree (73), Manoa (56) and Rapid Intervention Team from Garrettford-Drexel Hill (20) in the area of Ravencliff Drive in Marple Township for a report of a building fire. Police arrived on location and reported that a row of town homes under construction was on fire in the back of the development. Units arrived on location and began a defensive operation due to the collapse of the end unit. Large diameter hoses were used to cool a large propane tank close to the building to prevent further damage. Due to coordinated efforts the fire was held to the end two town houses. Companies operated on scene until around 8am.
As the holidays approach, the Springfield Fire Company is urging people to look for and eliminate potential dangers from holiday lights and decorations that could lead to fires and injuries.
Each year, hospital emergency rooms treat thousands of people for injuries, such as falls, cuts, and shocks related to holiday lights, decorations, and Christmas trees. In addition, Christmas trees are involved in hundreds of fires each year, resulting in deaths, injuries, and property loss and damage.
Keep your family safe this holiday season by following these safety tips.
- When purchasing an artificial tree, look for the label “Fire Resistant.” Although this label does not mean the tree won’t catch fire, it does indicate the tree will resist burning and should extinguish quickly.
- When purchasing a live tree, check for freshness. A fresh tree is green; needles are hard to pull from branches and when bent between your fingers, needles do not break. The trunk butt of a fresh tree is sticky with resin, and when tapped on the ground, the tree should not lose many needles.
- When setting up a tree at home, place it away from fireplaces and radiators. Because heated rooms dry live trees out rapidly, be sure to keep the stand filled with water. Place the tree out of the way of foot traffic and do not block doorways.
- Indoors or outside, only use lights that have been tested for safety by a recognized testing laboratory, which indicates conformance with safety standards.
- Check each set of lights, new or old, for broken or cracked sockets, frayed or bare wires, or loose connections, and throw out damaged sets.
- Use no more than three standard-size sets of lights per single extension cord.
- For added electric-shock protection, plug outdoor electric lights and decorations into circuits protected by ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs). Portable outdoor GFCIs can be purchased where electrical supplies are sold. GFCIs can be installed permanently to household circuits by a qualified electrician.
- Never use lighted candles on a tree or near other evergreens. Always use non-flammable holders, and place candles where they will not be knocked down.
- In homes with small children, take special care to avoid decorations that are sharp or breakable, keep trimmings with small removable parts out of the reach of children to avoid the child swallowing or inhaling small pieces, and avoid trimmings that resemble candy or food that may tempt a child to eat them.Fireplaces
- Do not remove fireplace embers or ash, or if you do, place them in a metal container with a lid and cover them with water. Do not place them in a plastic or paper bag or other container that is not fire-resistant. Do not dispose of them indoors or close to your home or another structure.
- Use care with “fire salts,” which produce colored flames when thrown on wood fires. They contain heavy metals that can cause intense gastrointestinal irritation and vomiting if eaten. Keep them away from children.
- Do not burn wrapping papers in the fireplace. A flash fire may result as wrappings ignite suddenly and burn intensely. Have a fire safe holiday….
On November 17, 2015 Springfield Fire Company held a training session on vehicle rescue. Led by Battalion Chief Foran the members used a variety of tools to disassemble two vehicles the were kindly donated to the fire company by residents of the community. Senior members honed their skills with the power tools while the younger members used a variety of hand tools to practice. During the training Squad 44 responded to Baltimore Pike and Homestead Road for a report of an accident. Assistant Chief Thomas advised the fire company was not need as the accident was minor and there were no injuries.
On October 16, 2015 at 1128pm Springfield Fire Company responded as the Rapid Intervention Team with Rescue 44 and 44-4 to a working house fire in Collingdale with people trapped. The crew under command of Assistant Chief Thomas split into two teams, one in the rear of the property and one in the front. Crews from Collingdale, Darby, Briarcliffe, Glenolden, Sharon Hill and Holmes battled the fire. A female was rescued by police prior to fire companies arrival, a male occupant was found deceased after the fire was extinguished. Springfield Fire Company stayed on scene for about 2 hours and returned to the station around 2am.